This is a group of helpful tips.
In case you have needed to know more about home security, now is your chance. For your home security you need to be careful with your choice, and you require the right information. You can read on further in the case that you need to investigate and explore options for your home security.
Just make sure that you replace all the locks once you move into a new house. This is so because might not be aware that previous owners of the house might have made duplicates. Just in order to make sure that you are the only one who can enter in the house, contact a locksmith. And in case you lose your keys then also make sure you reach out a locksmith.
In case if you keep an extra key outside to keep yourself from being locked out, then do think twice as in where you can hide it. The thieves or the unwanted visitors will first search on the framework at the top of the door or under the doormat in front of your door. So you should always think of a place where no one kind find it. For e.g. inside a small pot in front your door or behind some painting hanging you’re your door.
In case you are very much active on internet and have a great online presence and you are friends with some unknown people on social networking sites then you should avoid announcing your upcoming vacations. Despite the fact that outings are enjoyable to discuss, you may be doing minimal more than advising thieves the best times to visit your home.
Approach your friends for advice before you select or choose a home security framework or organization. This is so because at times others might have experience and opinions to share which might be beneficial for you. Making this choice right is very important so this advice can be of a great help.
You should not keep your phone or landline on ringing whenever you go for a vacation. A continually ringing telephone tells the robbers or thieves that you are not home and could build the possibilities of you getting robbed.
Setting off an alert during robbery is only one of the good points of the security systems. Numerous frameworks can be utilized to go off at whatever point anybody enters your home. Parents of children’s who always worried about their children sneaking out can consider this feature of the of the security system as a boon and relief.
Throw all the dead and dried out vegetation around your home in the late spring. At the point when summer warms up, such garbage can burst into flames. Keep your family and your home secured by consistently getting out your yard waste.
It is essential that you also speak with other people who live in your vicinity. Request that they watch out for your home, and do likewise thing for them. You should also at times get indulge in neighborhood gossip. This is so because you may end up hearing some weird things like odd people wandering about the area.
Lost Keys – What To Do When You Lose Your Keys
Losing your keys happens to more people than you’d think. Most of the time, the keys are simply misplaced, or have fallen within the cracks of couch cushions or have made their way into trusting souls who would never do anything to try and find the matching lock. Still, most people who lose their keys readily take the necessary steps to ensure their safety and the safety of the ones they love. There are people out there who have nothing better to do than find the matching home or car the set of keys belongs to, especially if you lose your keys at work, at your favorite spot, or where there’s a good chance whoever found your keys knows exactly where to go to find the match. So the question looms, what should you do when you lose your keys? Use the tips and tricks below to help you make that important decision.
Tips and Tricks
The number one logical thing most people do is change their locks around their home. Some people simply add locks such as deadbolts so they’re not replacing every key ring in the household. Other times, people add protection through the use of door braces, door chains, automatic lights and video monitoring systems.
If you have a home system installed, and you had a key chain device on your key ring, it’s a good idea to alert the company and make them aware that 1) you need a new one and 2) change the codes. This will give added protection to your home, family and yourself.
Inform your neighbors. We’ve all heard of the term ‘nosy neighbors’ however, this time you can use it to your advantage, at least until you can make some changes in and around your home to add protection. Neighborhood watch is a great way to protect everyone close to you.
Another thing you might want to consider is calling a locksmith to re-key your car. If your car has an alarm on it, contacting the dealership to alert them of the issue and to find out if they can re-alarm your car wouldn’t be a bad idea either.
I know some of these things can seem outrageous, expensive and time consuming but if safety is your top priority you should take some of the extra steps to reinforce what you’ve already accomplished. Possessions and material objects are one thing, and lives are another. Besides, you’ll realize that taking all of these steps really doesn’t take too much time at all, especially when your loved ones are at stake.
In the security of your own home, it’s easy to avoid thinking about how comfortable a burglar could get while you’re away or even fast asleep. According to the FBI, the number of home burglaries ticked down a bit last year, but they’re still frequent enough that the Bureau’s one-burglary-every-15-seconds estimate holds. That means every home is at risk for a burglary or break-in, especially those offering easy entry to thieves through the neglected details that lead to big losses.
If installing a top-of-the-line home security system is beyond your budget, fear not–there are many cheap home security tips and tricks you can use to keep your family and property secure.
- A well-lit home is much less likely to be broken into, so make sure your home’s exterior is fully illuminated with motion-detector spotlights and other strategic outdoor lighting fixtures.
- When you’re away, use timers on interior lights to give the impression of home life as usual. Manual and digital timers can be found at your local hardware store or home center for a few dollars a pop.
- Tall trees can be accessories to crime when dense branches come close to your home and create pockets of darkness where burglars can hide. Keep trees well-trimmed to avoid giving thugs a place to hang out.
- Dense shrubs can also create a hideout, so keep hedges low and plantings near doors and windows neat and transparent.
- A door with only a handle lock is an easy mark for a crook armed with finesse, a plastic credit card and the desire to break your home security. Instead, add a good-quality deadbolt at each entry. The best deadbolts require a key on the outside and incorporate a thumb latch on the inside. Further strengthen every installation by substituting long, heavy-duty screws for those provided by the manufacturer so that entry doors can be secured to the wood-framed door opening in the wall.
- No matter which lock you choose, it’s only as strong as the door itself, which is generally weakest around the lock. Add a decorative door reinforcement plate (about $10) to make this zone more secure. For more entry door security tips, check out our Front Door Entryways tips.
- Improve home security at the patio door by adding a patio bar, which can stop the inside door from sliding open or being pried off if the lock is broken. A sturdy piece of wood strategically placed in the open track can also improve door security.
- When leaving home for day trips or longer, keep your garage closed to intruders by inserting a large stove bolt through one of the side track holes to prevent the door from being slid open.
- Install a wide-angle (200-degree) peephole in your front door so that you can easily see who’s come knocking.
- Never hide spare keys in “secret” places outside your home, because smart burglars know which flowerpots to look under.
- Be smart about issuing spare keys. Even though you may be careful about who they’re issued to, you can’t control the paths they may cross or situations in which your key may be exposed to duplication.
- Windows can be the weakest link in home security, especially if left open and unattended. Make sure all units are closed and locked before you leave home for even the shortest errand, and add window dressings and shades to discourage prying eyes.
- Modern windows include sash locks, but you can improve security by drilling a hole from front to back where the top and bottom windows overlap and installing a long nail in the hole. If the integrated window lock breaks, the nail will stop the window from sliding open. Security bars on ground-level windows are also an option, but make sure they’re fitted with quick-release mechanisms that allow them to be opened from the inside in an emergency.
- Low-cost, high-technology home security systems incorporating infrared motion detection, remote controls and easy-to-install door and window break-in sensors are available for application in apartments and small homes. If you have pets, you can prevent false alarms by looking for systems incorporating “pet alley” settings that keep detection just above their usual paths.
- For more security with doors and windows, purchase individual alarms to supplement existing security measures.
- Perhaps the most important home security measure of all is to document your home’s contents, particularly the valuables. Get out the video camera and take a thorough tour of your home, then deliver a copy of the resulting tape and any other helpful documentation to your safe deposit box. If your home security is ever really threatened by a burglary, you’ll have the proof you need to supply to the police and to your homeowners insurance company.
Perhaps you’ve been locked out of your vehicle? Several people go through it and when this case occurs there is certainly just one particular individual which will help out of this difficulty. The auto locksmith will be the person that you simply are ready to turn to in case you are locked from your automobile. This kind of lock professional are incredibly in demand at the moment.
The degree of popularity is because of the improvement in technologies, the locks are starting to be complicated. These sophisticated locks aren’t straightforward to cope with. In case you might be being locked out of your car with sophisticated lock, you don’t have to be concerned, the car lock specialist will help you out effortlessly. Together with the assist of long selection of instruments they’ll be capable of fix the problem effortlessly.
The lock specialist should be capable of manage possibly probably the most delicate locks of probably one of the most valued vehicles. These lock authorities are believed to become the expert handler of keys and it demands understanding of distinct varieties of locks. The car lock experts guarantees you that your certain vehicle will be looked after and you do not must be concerned a fantastic deal because the lock expert open it up for you.
These kinds of lock specialist are very accurate using their function plus they are actually performing the work robotically. Hence the word pertains to “auto” meaning mechanical. They generally assist you and free you from these sticky circumstances to conserve lots of your useful vehicle from getting broken terribly. If in case you drop your vehicles keys, these locksmith ought to have the ability to generate 1 for you.
Emergency car lock specialist are typically required and are extremely important. The issue with this matter is usually very stressful. Obtaining locked out within your automobile in the core in the evening can be a issue towards the car’s owner. This situation could affect you anytime and any day and several of the occasions at that time if you least anticipate it.
There is several kinds of locks popular currently with a wide range of designs offered each having their own specialized uses.
1. Cylinder lock
2. Lever Tumbler Lock
3. Disc Tubular Lock
4. Combination Lock
5. Electronic Lock
Lets consider each style of lock in much more detail:
Currently the Cylinder lock is assembled making use of a round cylinder that can be taken apart quite simply by a certified locksmith every time rekeying is needed. The main advantage of choosing this particular variety of lock for the home owner is the cylinder can be switched while not having to change the bolt-work hardware. You merely undo the set screw and unscrew the cylinder from the bolt-work.
The Cylinder Lock is an extremely popular choice of lock, allowing the user the versatility to have a variety of types of locks utilizing the same key to open each of them.
The Lever Tumbler Lock works with a set of levers to prevent the bolt from moving inside the lock, when you are moving the tumbler to the correct height the bolt should be able to ease open. In 1778 Robert Barron conceived the double acting lever tumbler lock presently being used today. Utilizing this manner of lock, you have got to lift the lever to the exact height to let the lock to open up lifting either too high or too low does not allow entry. The lever tumbler locks are usually secure and used by a number of safes and prisons at present.
The Disc Tubular Lock features slotted spinning detainer discs not containing any springs making this excellent lock especially long lasting. The disc tubular lock is advertised as a high security lock and it’s actually much harder to be picked or bumped. But bear in mind, the lock can be defeated simply by drilling the sidebar except in cases where anti-drilling plates were installed earlier.
A Combination Lock involves revolving a dial to the correct symbols or just a combination of numbers to open up the lock. The numbered arrangement is generally either registered working with a spinning dial or via an electronic keypad. The earliest combination lock was spotted on a grave in Kerameikos, Athens Rome. In 1206 Al-Jazari also wrote about a combination lock in his publication. In the 16th century, Gerolamo Cardano documented the lock and in 1878 Joseph Loch devised a lock for Tiffany’s Jewelers and through the early 1900’s there were a number of variations made in the design and function of the combination lock. The combination lock is probably the least secure locks as it can be very easily opened without having to use the combination. They are put to use primarily to secure bikes and briefcases which are not deemed to be high security goods.
Electric Lock systems usually are attached to an entrance management unit regulated by a key system that has the ability to make alterations in security without re-keying the complete lock cylinder system.
Generally there are 4 distinct types of electric locks, the most common type works with a numerical code making use of a keypad just like the Schlage deadbolt keyless lock and depending upon the version it might include an audible response when pressing the code. One type of electronic digital lock uses a smart card requiring the individual to swipe or scan the keypad that utilizes infra-red signals to open. With the advance of new technologies, biometrics have become a unique way of displaying positive recognition by scanning fingerprints, retinal and iris scanning or voice printing to verify users. The very last type of electric locks is RFID or radio frequency identification.It is employed in high technology locks and may also be used as an object that’s attached to an individual, wildlife or even a product that can then be followed with the help of radio signals.Article Source: http://longstory-short.com/admin/a-brief-history-of-the-different-types-of-locks/
Locksmithing is known as the science and art of making and defeating locks. It is a trade that requires meticulous skill and mastery of tools. Traditional locksmithing is a combination of other skills such as metalworking, lock picking and even basic carpentry. Historically, lock smiths actually created the entire locks and keys through hours of painstaking work. However, the rise of mass production of locks and keys has made custom-designed locks a rarity.
Nowadays, parts swapping or like-for-like replacements are used to repair most locks. Fitting of keys to replace lost keys for homes or cars is also a common job performed by locksmiths. In addition, many locksmiths also specialize in installing high quality locks with improved locking mechanisms.
There are classic and essential tools that all locksmiths use to perform their job. A mainstay in a locksmith’s toolbox is the lock pick set. This set of specialized tools is used primarily for defeating locks if the original key is lost. A typical lock pick set consists of the following tools: manual picks, tension wrenches, key turners and lever picks.
Professional locksmiths may also use special destructive opening tools like special cylinder crackers and bell. Other special tools include grinders, cutting burrs and milling machines that come with grinding bits and discs. Another essential tool used by locksmiths is the traditional manual pick gun, which is operated by pulling a trigger.
Just as there are numerous types of keyways, there are also many tools that can be used to open locks. UPVC and Euro locks are easier to pick by using slim line pick sets that are narrower than standard versions and thus allowing better access to the pins inside the lock. If the lock has to be opened using destructive tools, the most common equipments used are special tools such as the bell with pulling screws. These tools are designed to crack the door lock cylinder. For doors, locksmiths commonly use a selection of wedges.
For car door locks, one of the most effective tools used by locksmiths is the air fighter pro. This consists of a bag that slides between the doorframe and inflates so that the locksmith can use the tools to open the locks. A tool used for older cars with upright door locks is the lasso tool.
In the United States, there are laws concerning the possession of lock pick sets and they differ from state to state. In most states, a lock smith must be licensed to own a lock pick set. However in most states, possession by laymen is legal since illegal possession must be coupled with felonious or malicious intent. Illegal possession of lock picks can be prosecuted as a felony under the category of possession of burglary tools.
Bumping works by taking advantage of the way lock pins work. Every lock is made up of a series of pin stacks, spring loaded stacks of pins (the key pin and the driver pin), which align when the right key is inserted. This allows the lock cylinder to turn. When either there is no key or the wrong key is in the lock, the misalignment of the pins makes sure that the cylinder can’t be turned. This is changed as a result of lock bumping.
Initially, the special bump key is placed in the keyway, one notch out. When the key is bumped inward, its forced deeper in, and its specially made teeth jiggle all the lock’s pins. The key pins transmit this bumping to the spring loaded driver pins which separate from their key pins for a split second. Despite the short time in which this happens, applying a light force to the key will allow the cylinder to turn, rendering the lock useless.
Lock bumping may pose as a threat to ourselves and our community. Fortunately, this danger can be eliminated with the use of locks that have been designed to be bump proof. However, the highest quality of non-bump proof locks on the market are considered to be the ones in the greatest danger of being bumped. This may be due to the fact that they are made in a more precise manner which allows their pins move freely and smoothly, thus making bumping a whole lot easier. Hardened steel locks, which are harder to open conventionally, are considered to be at a higher risk of being bumped. Despite this, their high quality pins aren’t likely to be damaged as a result of bumping. Where cheaper locks would jam, a high end lock is actually more bumpable!
There are several designs that are considered to be a lot less vulnerable to an attack. Security pins, like the mushroom style used in many bump proof locks, make bump keying a lot more difficult. Locks that use rotating disks or magnets also cannot be attached in this way. Despite this, security pins alone can’t completely make a lock bump proof. A bump key has to have the same blank profile as the lock it was made for making locks with registered or restricted key profiles are a lot safer. It is illegal to get the right key blanks unless registered with the appropriate locksmith organization.
Another method used that can keep locks from being bumped are trap pins. When not supported by a pin, these special pins jam the lock, thus preventing entry.
Another method used that can keep locks from being bumped is shallow drilling. This is done by one or more pin stacks being drilled a little more shallowly than the rest. This method prevents the key from bumping those pins since they are too high for the technique to work.
There are several different brands of locks that are advertised as being bump proof; however, there are only two manufactures who actually make these bump proof locks: Mul-T-Lock and Medeco. Their special cylinder designs and other security measures make using a bump key almost impossible. While you may have seen videos or other information suggesting that these locks can be bumped, you should remember that the locks being opened may have been prepared beforehand, removing some of the proprietary security measures.
It is advised not to trust videos or other claims that suggest locks can be bumped unless you all the evidence in front of you. Many times the lock has been tampered with in advance. In most cases, unless the cylinder is under the same condition it is used in, the assumed “bumping” is most probably a fake. A really good lock is almost impossible to bump.
Locks from Medeco and Mul-T-Lock provide high security and are an excellent choice against bumping and other attacks. It is advised not to buy an ordinary high quality lock without anti-bumping measures in place. This lock is actually easier to open using a bump key! The same features that prevent the lock from failing or jamming make it susceptible to this lock picking trick.
Many people are unaware of the serious effect of bump keying. Bump keying is a major problem that could compromise your security. In order to prevent associated problems, it is important to replace locks that are vulnerable to being bumped with ones that are more resistant. Give yourself and your family the safety and security they deserve. Rest peacefully knowing that even the most determined of lock bumpers won’t be able to open your doors.
Home. It’s where the heart is. There’s no place like it. But most of all, it’s where we want to be comfortable, safe and secure. Unfortunately, burglaries are almost always a case of an opportunity seen and seized.
You are most at risk if you:
- have standard locks that do not prevent key duplication or protect against physical attack.
- have ever given others a copy of your key.
- have never changed your original locks.
- have created a “burglar friendly” environment.
- have doors without deadbolts.
The first thing to remember about locks and keys is to keep keys out of circulation. The potential for theft by use of unauthorized keys is staggering. Just think of all the people who have used your keys, from housekeepers to childcare providers to valet parking attendants. Then, think of all the places where duplicate keys can be made, from hardware stores to shoe repair shops. Have you ever been asked for identification when having a key duplicated?
- Buy Medeco High Security locks with specialized keys that require your authorization to make copies and that can only be duplicated by a professional locksmith.
- Change all locks when moving into a new house or apartment.
- Only give keys to a few trusted people and be wary of giving out keys to your home.
- Do not leave spare keys in obvious places, such as under flower pots or welcome mats.
- Do not have identifying tags on your key ring that provide thieves with personal information such as your name and address.
- Install a double cylinder lock on doors located near windows to prevent thieves from breaking the window and turning the latch.
- A special Captive Thumbturn Deadbolt has a removable thumbturn key that provides easy exit for your family in emergencies. When the thumbturn is removed, it also provides additional burglary protection when you are away from home.
When protecting your home from break-ins, check the easiest points of entry: doors and windows.
- Choose solid wood or steel doors. Hollow wood doors can easily be kicked in.
- Install doors with the hinges on the inside of the door so hinges cannot be easily removed.
- Do not leave gaps around the door frame that would make doors vulnerable to prying.
- Use vertical bolts on sliding doors so burglars cannot gain entry by lifting them off the track. Reinforce security by placing a metal or solid wood rod on the inside track.
- Watch the electric garage door close completely when you come and go so that someone cannot sneak under as it closes.
- Make sure back doors and the door that connects your garage to your home are solid and secured with high security deadbolt locks.
- Lock your pet door when you are away. Thieves can convince children to crawl through it and open the door.
- Make sure your windows can be securely locked.
- Double-hung windows (the ones that slide up and down) are fairly safe, particularly if they have locks mounted on the sides or in the corners.
When planning your landscaping, think like thieves and know your enemy.
- Remove trees or branches of trees close to your home that give burglars access to upper levels.
- Make it difficult for them to navigate through your yard and approach entry points. Plant low thorny bushes below your windows.
- Trim your trees and shrubbery; don’t give them somewhere to hide.
- Keep your lawn well maintained so that they know that the house is attended to and constantly inhabited.
- In addition to keeping your yard neatly trimmed and well cared for, keep it well lighted. Burglars prefer to operate in the dark.
- Install porch lights and be attentive to burned out bulbs.
- Install motion sensitive lights; they will not only make you feel safer when approaching your home after dark, but they will also deter criminals who don’t want to be seen.
- Leave a light on, preferably on each floor, when you go out in the evening.
Be aware of the physical details, people and happenings in your neighborhood.
- When moving, call the police and find out the frequency of burglaries in your new neighborhood and how they have occurred, so you know how to protect yourself.